Sul Ross University, A. Michael Powell Herbarium (SRSC)
The herbarium occupies one wing of the Warnock Science Building. There are approximately 100,000 specimens housed in 112 cases. The major collections include plants of Trans-Pecos Texas, which forms the largest part of the northern part of the Chihuahuan Desert Region in the United States. It is a prominent regional research collection that is available to botanists around the world and is also a valuable teaching facility for both graduate and undergraduate students interested in various botanical disciplines or in wildlife biology. The first significant collections are those made by O.E. Sperry in 1935-1946. The physical herbarium was probably started by L.C. Hinkley but B.H. Warnock was responsible for the largest early collection of plants and major development of the herbarium as a research facility. Another major contributor was M.C Johnston. More recently, the herbarium has grown through the efforts of A.M. Powell, in whose honor the university renamed the herbarium in 2003.