Lundell Herbarium at the University of Texas at Austin (LL)
The Lundell Herbarium (LL) is part of the Billie L. Turner Plant Resources Center, which houses the combined herbaria of the University of Texas Herbarium (TEX) and the Lundell Herbarium; the combined PRC collections include over one million specimens from all parts of the world and represent the 13th largest herbarium in the United States. The two herbaria (TEX and LL) are completely integrated and interfiled, although each sheet is marked as to its herbarium and should be cited as such. The Lundell Herbarium itself includes material amassed by Cyrus L. Lundell, who botanically explored portions of northern Central America and was the first and only director of the Texas Research Foundation of Renner, Texas, from 1946 until its dissolution in 1972. The Lundell Herbarium (LL) includes material collected through the Texas Research Foundation and other personal collections of Dr. Lundell collected in Mexico and Central America; some of these specimens formed part of the University of Texas at Dallas herbarium (referred to by the acronym UTD), where Lundell conducted research after the dissolution of the Texas Research Foundation, but all were combined into the the Lundell Herbarium (LL) when he donated the collection to the Plant Resources Center in the 1970s and 1980s. LL includes over 300,000 specimens and is especially rich in plants of Texas, the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize, as well as in the plant families of Lundell’s primary interest, especially Myrsinaceae and Celastraceae. No new material is being accessioned into LL.
Contacts: George Yatskievych, email@example.com