University of North Texas, Benjamin B. Harris Herbarium (NTSC)
The Benjamin B. Harris Herbarium contains ca. 16,000 specimens and is located in the Elm Fork Natural Heritage Museum on the University of North Texas main campus. It was established in 1914 as the North Texas State College Herbarium, and by the 1950s it had been renamed in honor of Dr. Benjamin Harris at the time of his retirement. Most of the herbarium specimens were collected by Dr. Harris himself during his time at the University (1916-1953), with a focus on Texas, but the collection also contains older specimens dating back to the mid-1870s, as well as collections from the rest of the United States, Mexico, Europe, and Africa, among others. This collection is being digitized with support from the National Science Foundation (Award #:1902078), in collaboration with the Botanical Research Institute of Texas.